Old man winter comes roaring back in March
It was an out and out blizzard. We're not talking a storm, no, no, no. This was a blizzard, a 24-to-36 hour fiasco that sent people home, closed roads, shuttered coal mines down to their bare bone crews, literally stranded people wherever their car got stuck.
The snow totals weren't all that immense until tonight — we probably only passed a foot sometime this afternoon — but 35 mph winds that kept the white stuff flying horizontal kept things more than a little interesting. One of our paper's photographers, Paul Ruhter, and I spent the better part of the afternoon going from point to point in his big Chevy pickup — this was no time for the intrepid Honda Civic.

There was the bus depot, some wrecks, a guy putting chains on his Pontiac Firebird and other fun stuff. There were also drifts as tall as I am, some roads that challenged his truck's clearance and plenty of opportunities to appreciate our state's famous northwesterly breeze that brought flakes flying like daggers to our faces.
Schools were out, so Angela was home and by the end of the day she was more than a little stir crazy. On a night like this, there was little else to do than stop at Wal-Mart (which I did when Paul drove me home... hope the ol' Civic is doing okay at the office) to get some movies, a Coke (cherry for her) and settle in for the night. Lord only knows how much snow we'll get — last I checked there was four inches of snow on the walk that I shoveled around 6 p.m. and it's still coming down.
Pictures coming tomorrow... For now read this and this. Excuse any mistakes, we were running an early deadline with one editor, technical difficulties and a rapidly evolving emergency situation... LET IT SNOW!!!
The snow totals weren't all that immense until tonight — we probably only passed a foot sometime this afternoon — but 35 mph winds that kept the white stuff flying horizontal kept things more than a little interesting. One of our paper's photographers, Paul Ruhter, and I spent the better part of the afternoon going from point to point in his big Chevy pickup — this was no time for the intrepid Honda Civic.

There was the bus depot, some wrecks, a guy putting chains on his Pontiac Firebird and other fun stuff. There were also drifts as tall as I am, some roads that challenged his truck's clearance and plenty of opportunities to appreciate our state's famous northwesterly breeze that brought flakes flying like daggers to our faces.
Schools were out, so Angela was home and by the end of the day she was more than a little stir crazy. On a night like this, there was little else to do than stop at Wal-Mart (which I did when Paul drove me home... hope the ol' Civic is doing okay at the office) to get some movies, a Coke (cherry for her) and settle in for the night. Lord only knows how much snow we'll get — last I checked there was four inches of snow on the walk that I shoveled around 6 p.m. and it's still coming down.
Pictures coming tomorrow... For now read this and this. Excuse any mistakes, we were running an early deadline with one editor, technical difficulties and a rapidly evolving emergency situation... LET IT SNOW!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home