Sunday, February 18, 2007

Buffalo burgers

Following my basketball team's one road trip down to Wright — a small town 38 miles south of Gillette that was set up by coal mines in the 1970s as production ramped up — Angela and I went to the Little Thunder Cafe.

It's a quaint place that shares a building with a bar called Hank's Liquor Lounge. The pair are perched on a rise in the prairie from which you can see the eastern edge of the town sitting quietly next to Highway 59's steady stream of semis, diesel pickups and oil service trucks that rumble south toward the field during the day and north back to town at night.

Step into the cafe and you're immediately wrapped in smoke, greeted by gals gathered around the register, allowed to choose your own sunflower tablecloth-covered table with open-back chairs, all of which are presided over by skulls of big game.

We sat down shortly after 1 p.m. — both famished having not eaten all day — looked over the menu and ordered lunch. Angela got a cheeseburger. I asked for a buffalo burger with bacon and cheese.

It was exactly what I got. The burger was shaped like a buffalo. That was funny to me, which is why I just wrote about it (blogger’s prerogative.)

(By the way, for anyone following the Pronghorn Bulldog's progress, we lost, which is what happens when one player scores all your points. Why can’t fourth graders pass?!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home