Saturday, February 10, 2007

Good to admit our mistatkes...

What a week... (almost two).

It's gone from frigid (in the single digits) to warm (40s and 50s — we are in Wyoming) back to just moderate for February (20s, 30s). We've had snow come, go, and come back again. And as usual, our weather forecasting has been extremely poor (e.g. "It will snow all weekend" ... it's sunny with nary a cloud in the sky).

While it was still warm on Monday and Tuesday, I got the chance to meet a violinist — Benny Kim — who brought with him several interesting pieces to perform on his Stradivarius violin. The is here, although I must confess to two egregious errors that illustrate the pressures of the daily deadline.

First, right off the bat, I had some revisionist history in the first paragraph. George Washington was clearly not born in Boston (for some reason I got Ben Franklin stuck in my head, who was born in Boston). No... Washington is, as my mom said the "consummate Virginian."

I also misspelled 'Juilliard." Other than that it was a pretty slammin' article, in my opinion.... I was, needless to say, very embarrassed, but it illustrates a truth people in the newspaper industry know and outsiders don't always accept... Mistakes are made even though we try our best.

The most we can hope for is that we are big enough to admit them.

For other interesting tidbits, I suggest this article on the impending breakup of the United States into regional nation-states.

It leaves me to wonder how Wyoming, with all its coal, oil and natural gas, would do without any food at all. I mean, I suppose we have cattle but beyond that, there ain't much, especially with the drought we've been in for going on eight years. I was pointing out to a friend living near Denver that when he and the rest of Colorado's Front Range got dumped on by the winter storms in December, the good citizens of Gillette were without fresh produce for several days.

Delivery trucks simply couldn't make it up I-25.

That storm and its broad regional fallout (there wasn't a drop of snow within 120 miles of the Razor City) really put our interconnectivity in perspective for me. Scary... Makes me want to stockpile water, dry goods, etc... or at least by a small arsenal of assault rifles to ward off would-be competition at the local Albertson's.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Did you know that back during the boom in the early 1980s Campbell County threatened to secede from the state of Wyoming? Hilarious!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home