Schmoozing in the capitol city
I clearly have been remiss in posting but here we go...
So I used to think going to conferences was the best thing ever. Then I came to one, the Wyoming Press Association conference to be exact.
Don't get me wrong, meeting people has been alright. So has learning more about the "craft of journalism" but Christ Almighty, I have never seen so much pontificating on one's own profession. I feel narcissistic just being here (thanks to the editor of the Casper Star Tribune for helping me spell "narcissistic").
That said, my time in Cheyenne has not been completely worthless. I got to see the governor — again — and he was in rare form, making cracks on anything and everything.
I also met a man, Brady Dennis, a journalist at the St. Petersburg Times who writes incredible stories in 300 words or less. Turns out he's a fellow North Carolinian and a proud alumnus of UNC-Chapel Hill. Lived across from the Murder Mart. Grew up in Hickory. Had roommates who took the same Beatles class I did.
Then, of course, I ran into a guy who went to Carleton.
It was like run into your arch rival day.
Small world. Small world, indeed.
In any case, I took a spin around the State Legislature and took a (brisk) walk through the streets of the capitol city on a significantly-below-zero morning. Back to Gillette on Sunday.
So I used to think going to conferences was the best thing ever. Then I came to one, the Wyoming Press Association conference to be exact.
Don't get me wrong, meeting people has been alright. So has learning more about the "craft of journalism" but Christ Almighty, I have never seen so much pontificating on one's own profession. I feel narcissistic just being here (thanks to the editor of the Casper Star Tribune for helping me spell "narcissistic").
That said, my time in Cheyenne has not been completely worthless. I got to see the governor — again — and he was in rare form, making cracks on anything and everything.
I also met a man, Brady Dennis, a journalist at the St. Petersburg Times who writes incredible stories in 300 words or less. Turns out he's a fellow North Carolinian and a proud alumnus of UNC-Chapel Hill. Lived across from the Murder Mart. Grew up in Hickory. Had roommates who took the same Beatles class I did.
Then, of course, I ran into a guy who went to Carleton.
It was like run into your arch rival day.
Small world. Small world, indeed.
In any case, I took a spin around the State Legislature and took a (brisk) walk through the streets of the capitol city on a significantly-below-zero morning. Back to Gillette on Sunday.

1 Comments:
murder mart?
Post a Comment
<< Home