Friday night at the rodeo
Well, I went to the honkin', tonkin' rodeo last night and had a whale of a time.
There was dip to be sampled, beer to be drank, nachos to be sampled and cowboys to be watched as they were flung by bulls and broncs from one end of the arena to another.
I took my camera but my battery was pretty dead, so I didn't really get any pictures to speak of. It's a shame, too, because the last event was really something to see. Now I'm not exactly what you'd call an — expert — on rodeos. But as I understand it, bareback broncs are the first event and bulls are the last. Not for this particular rodeo.
After running to the bathroom (remember the beer? Turns out we were renting not buying...) I came back to the clamor of hooves against metal and tried my best to elbow my way through the crowd to see what the heck was going on. Just as I was walking up the ramp, the gates flew open and about a dozen broncs went shooting out into the arena bringing the whole crowd to it's feet for the first time all night.
What ensued was nothing short of madness. Teams of three cowboys went — I think — to go track down and mount a horse amidst the commotion of all the other horses running. One team got their guy on top of the horse only to have it run into another. I was sure he'd go flying over the fence but somehow he held on. In any case, it was wild and people were hootin' and hollerin' (I knew because I had balanced myself on one of the railings so I could see better...)
That ended the rodeo, which, in truth was a bit lackluster if only because so few people actually did their events well. I walked out of the Cam-plex and into a driving snowstorm complete with 25 mph wind whipping all the white stuff into my face... Ahhh... Wyoming!
There was dip to be sampled, beer to be drank, nachos to be sampled and cowboys to be watched as they were flung by bulls and broncs from one end of the arena to another.
I took my camera but my battery was pretty dead, so I didn't really get any pictures to speak of. It's a shame, too, because the last event was really something to see. Now I'm not exactly what you'd call an — expert — on rodeos. But as I understand it, bareback broncs are the first event and bulls are the last. Not for this particular rodeo.
After running to the bathroom (remember the beer? Turns out we were renting not buying...) I came back to the clamor of hooves against metal and tried my best to elbow my way through the crowd to see what the heck was going on. Just as I was walking up the ramp, the gates flew open and about a dozen broncs went shooting out into the arena bringing the whole crowd to it's feet for the first time all night.
What ensued was nothing short of madness. Teams of three cowboys went — I think — to go track down and mount a horse amidst the commotion of all the other horses running. One team got their guy on top of the horse only to have it run into another. I was sure he'd go flying over the fence but somehow he held on. In any case, it was wild and people were hootin' and hollerin' (I knew because I had balanced myself on one of the railings so I could see better...)
That ended the rodeo, which, in truth was a bit lackluster if only because so few people actually did their events well. I walked out of the Cam-plex and into a driving snowstorm complete with 25 mph wind whipping all the white stuff into my face... Ahhh... Wyoming!

1 Comments:
Free chaw is a gift from the heavens!
Post a Comment
<< Home